Thursday, August 11, 2011

I need a new pattern...

...not that kind! 

With me returning to work, the time I had set aside each day to type this is when I'm too tired to do it.  This is not good.  I'll have to take some time this weekend and actually make a schedule for myself, and for Reilly, so we can continue in formal fashion what we've started in casual fashion.

Reilly had a vet appointment today.  There were a couple issues that caused us problems.  One, their computer had hiccuped and eaten some appointments, ours included.  We weren't on the schedule.  Second, the vet that saw Reilly originally was not there.  Third, we could have waited to see the other doc, but she was in an emergency C-section, so her appointments were backlogged already.

Sigh.

I chose coming back tomorrow, as they had an afternoon opening.  I let the tech know that I'd like them to do x-rays for a base-line, as things seem to be altering.  I should have requested them first visit.  I know they were trying to save money by not offering them, especially since most people with pet dogs would wait and see, but he'll have a better opportunity for soundness even with surgery, if he has some background info for the orthopedist.  If he needs to go that route.  I'm thinking right now that he won't.  His right leg is the straighter now, and his left front is worse, and it looks to my inexperienced eye that his hind legs are playing the game, too.  I think it'll all straighten up in the end.

I realized today that without us walking Reilly has had little leash time these days.  Mistake on my part.  He needs his leash time.  He was pulling me at the vet, which is not good.  Part of that was due to all the worker-bees calling him and trying to get puppy-hugs.  I have explained to the head tech that they really need to not do that.  We'll see how this works out.  I will explain it again to Doc tomorrow.  As soon as he's done with his shots, he starts puppy school, so that will help.  And it will be some time before he goes back to the vet.  I think he'll need to be wearing a reminder vest there by that point.

I also realized today that Reilly has been using his bed as a urinal for the last couple days.  His bed is now in the wash.  A down side of having no sense of smell, as he could easily have been doing this for several days.  Chris is out of town, so he isn't here to pick up on it.  We keep doing two steps forward and one step back.  But the main progress is always forward.

I only got a couple pics today, in his favorite spot, which you've seen before.  But it at least gives you an opportunity to see how he's growing.  37.5 pounds today.  So that's about 8-9 pounds for two weeks?  (I didn't go back to look and am relying on memory.  MY memory.)  That's a reasonable gain. Not too fast, which will make the growth problems worse, and not poor growth, either.


I'll sort out a good time of day for doing this, and keep the freshly carded camera closer.

Meg and Reilly

No comments:

Post a Comment